How we got here

Mind Traffic Control started in 2007 as a simple task-tracking tool hosted on the Google App Engine.

Unlike the todo-lists that were popular at the time, MTC, described itself as a "queue" and modelled itself on Twitter combining a short task description entry box (with 500 character limit).

The quirk of MTC is that it didn't try to show you the whole list or make you think about the list. It simply showed the first item with a few options : mark it as done, delay it until later, delegate it to another user of the system. To-do Queues are not about managing and admiring /lists. They're about tracking individual tasks and the workflow.

While MTC actually did work well, and I put hundreds of items into it, I found that storing and manipulating items individually in a database was inefficient (updates to the list were slow and consumed a lot of my free quota). I also realized that keeping a slick HTML front-end was a lot of work. (I'm not primarily a web-designer, and standards and expectations have been growing rapidly.)

A few years later, I found that the todo.txt idea ... a simple text file, accessed through minimal command-line tools, became increasingly appealing. I decided that for my own purposes, I could live without cloud-hosting, I wasn't really delegating tasks to anyone. And I liked the command-line.

So I decided to (temporarily) abandon the cloud and the browser. And refocus on a local, personal, minimal tool based on MTC principles.

See Mind Traffic Control is Dead! for the full story.

I rewrote MTC in Racket (an offshoot of Scheme). And that's how I've been using MTC for the last couple of years.

Where we are

But it's time a for another change. I want MTC to have the option of running everywhere. Including back in the browser, in the cloud. But Racket isn't the best language for cross-platform development.

So I've rewritten the source code in Clojure. This now gives me new options for where the code runs and how to distribute it.

I can make a cross-platform Java application to run on any desktop operating system. I can compile with ClojureScript to run back in the browser. I can even to figure out an Android solution in the future.

See the Clojure source : GitHub / GitLab